Monday, December 29, 2014

Resolutions - Stash Ideas




Pinterest can be an addiction of sorts but now and then I come across some genius ideas. I recently searched fabric scraps. Wow! Here are some of the great ideas that I came across! 
Picture from Bunk's Blog


First - Storage. I keep my scraps in a large Zippered storage bag with handles. Larger scraps I keep in a plastic bin to use for pockets, collars, etc. 


Bunk's Blog did what so many do - create a family heirloom. A Quilt. I have a quilt that my grandmother made in the 1920's. It's a bit threadbare but it makes me think of her which makes me Smile. Anyway - Here's an example of Bunk's work! 


The first one I came across is from PeriwinklePincushion  

Each Scrap is folded and rolled up then tied with a small scrap! 



















My next find was from MapleandMagnolia 
This giant jar of scraps! I love the label on the jar.What a great decoration for your sewing room! I have a large glass pickle jar stashed - Time to get it out of the closet and put it to use! 













Now what to do with those scraps? 
McCall 1078 - ClaireBearToo



First this great 1940's toy pattern by McCall. Each animal measures between  The finished size of the giraffe (B) is 10 inches. The finished sizes of the remaining animals are from 7.5 to 8 inches high. All you need to make these is some scrap cotton, embroidery floss, and yarn. Perfect for decorating a baby's room, favors at a baby shower and decorations too. The possibilities are endless. 




McCall's 2338 PatternMatters
Here's one that uses very little as well. The body is men's athletic socks! 
12.5 inch Mice & Clown. (does that clown look like it should be given to a small child?) 

Visit Vintage Pattern Collective for the best selection of Vintage Sewing Patterns! 










My favorite idea is this great fabric twine by MyPoppet   Even if you just leave them on the spools you have created some great art! 


Next - Rag Rugs! The Crafting Chicks have a great post on making rag rugs. I grew up on the East Coast of the U.S. where rag rugs were a household given. I have made small (dollhouse) ones but have never attempted a real one! 


Last but definitely not least! BurdaStyle Did a great post for Earth Day 2014 on using scraps! 
Great Ideas and so many options!  Camera Strap, CD Holder, Necktie, Needle Books, Fabric Flowers, Fabric boxes


7 comments:

  1. Oh, that Pinterest! It's easy to get lost in project ideas, isn't it? The spools of braided scraps is rather pretty. I hope we see some makes from you in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have or rather - make some time to make something start to finish!

      Delete
  2. I pass my scraps on to my sister. Voila - MY sewing area is neat. Is that cheating? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hate scraps! Mostly because I just can't seem to get rid of them. I'm always convincing myself I'll find a use for them. It;s a never ending cycle around here. You've shown some great examples here, so maybe I will find a use for some of them!
    I think that clown must be a close relation of BoBo's. I see a creepy family resemblance.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Ideas! I think the clown is quite scary too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobo! I'll never forget him...

    I have the scrap "twine" pinned somewhere, on one of my personal boards...I'm a terrible scrap hoarder, I confess...paper scraps more so than fabric ones.

    ReplyDelete